Published Date: September 21, 2015
There is an atmosphere of triumph and celebration in Nepal. For the first time in Nepal's history, representatives of the people have completed their task of writing a new constitution and have delivered it to the people. This historic moment is the official conclusion of decade-long Peace Agreement which ended the armed conflict, and the fulfillment of the Second Jana Andolan (People’s Movement). It is an accomplishment which holds promises of peace and prosperity in Nepal.
An overwhelming 90 percent of the Constituent Assembly endorsed the document. The constitution drafting process was democratic, inclusive and participatory. In the past, constitutions were either written by the monarch or by a committee selected by the king or queen.
President Ram Baran Yadav promulgated the new constitution which came into effect immediately and annulled the Interim Constitution of 2007, on Sunday, September 20, 2015. As the CA has completed the task of writing the new constitution, it has been dissolved and transformed into the Legislature-Parliament, as per the Constitution.
In a brief speech following the declaration the President stated that he hoped the new constitution would ensure a sustainable peace and political stability taking the nation on the path of social and economic prosperity and urged the political leadership to demonstrate its competence with wisdom in implementation.
He acknowledged the constitution has not addressed all the demands of ethnic groups however, it has laid the groundwork for inclusiveness and is a living document with space for amendments.
Key features of the Constitution of Nepal 2015.
· Democratic Republican state where the source of powers is vested only in the people.
· Seven Province Federal model
· Three-tier government: federal, provincial and local
· Inclusion and policy of proportional representation
· Competative multi-party democratic system
· Fundamental rights including economic, social and cultural rights
· Full press freedom
· Independent, fair and competent judiciary
· Constitutional bench in Supreme Court
· Executive rights on Council of Ministers
· President as ceremonial head-of-state
· Bi-cameral federal parliament—275 member House of Representatives and 59 member National Assembly
· Citizenship by decent to a child of a Nepali father or mother
I did the above mentioned trip in December 2016. The trip was perfectly planned and everything went smoothly. The itinerary allowed for perfect acclimatisation, especially having two nights at Island Peak Base Camp. Tashi, the trekking guide for the trip picked me up at the airport and helped me through…Lukas
A friend and I worked with Annapurna Foothills Treks to be guided trekking on the Annapurna circuit from Besi Sahr over the Thorong La pass to Jomsom, with a guided climb of Chulu West on the way. Our trekking guide Dawa was outstanding all the way to Pisang, and provided…Craig
Our 14 day Poon Hill and Annapurna Base Camp trek, guided by Tashi was an outstanding experience. We enjoyed his local knowledge while making the trip a joy. From the trip's booking to departure from Nepal, all aspects of the trip were carefully organized and well executed-something we appreciated very…Kathy