Published Date: September 21, 2015
There is an atmosphere of triumph and celebration in Nepal. For the first time in Nepal's history, representatives of the people have completed their task of writing a new constitution and have delivered it to the people. This historic moment is the official conclusion of decade-long Peace Agreement which ended the armed conflict, and the fulfillment of the Second Jana Andolan (People’s Movement). It is an accomplishment which holds promises of peace and prosperity in Nepal.
An overwhelming 90 percent of the Constituent Assembly endorsed the document. The constitution drafting process was democratic, inclusive and participatory. In the past, constitutions were either written by the monarch or by a committee selected by the king or queen.
President Ram Baran Yadav promulgated the new constitution which came into effect immediately and annulled the Interim Constitution of 2007, on Sunday, September 20, 2015. As the CA has completed the task of writing the new constitution, it has been dissolved and transformed into the Legislature-Parliament, as per the Constitution.
In a brief speech following the declaration the President stated that he hoped the new constitution would ensure a sustainable peace and political stability taking the nation on the path of social and economic prosperity and urged the political leadership to demonstrate its competence with wisdom in implementation.
He acknowledged the constitution has not addressed all the demands of ethnic groups however, it has laid the groundwork for inclusiveness and is a living document with space for amendments.
Key features of the Constitution of Nepal 2015.
· Democratic Republican state where the source of powers is vested only in the people.
· Seven Province Federal model
· Three-tier government: federal, provincial and local
· Inclusion and policy of proportional representation
· Competative multi-party democratic system
· Fundamental rights including economic, social and cultural rights
· Full press freedom
· Independent, fair and competent judiciary
· Constitutional bench in Supreme Court
· Executive rights on Council of Ministers
· President as ceremonial head-of-state
· Bi-cameral federal parliament—275 member House of Representatives and 59 member National Assembly
· Citizenship by decent to a child of a Nepali father or mother
I would like to higly recommend Annapurna Foothills Trekking for the great adventure they provided to me during the 3 weeks I spent with them! The trekking and climbing guides were excellent, always available and paying a special attention to any of my requests. I expect to come back again…Haidar Navi
My wife and I trekked the Manaslu Circuit with Ngima's Annapurna Foothills in late 2014. The trip, from start to finish, was nothing short of spectacular. Ngima and Tenzin were the warmest, most gracious hosts, and showed single-minded devotion to ensuring the trip's success, safety, and joyfulness.Merrick Kingston
My name is Clinton Behan For the past 15 years I have been running commercial expeditions to the Nepal himalaya from where I live in Perth W.Australia and over those years I have had many opportunities to work with companies out of Kathmandu to run my logistics and organise…Clinton Behan